Soccer in Andrews Schools???

Soccer in Andrews Schools???

Hailey Gribble

Soccer is a new sport to AMS. They have different seasons and different rules than any other sport. Are you interested in doing soccer or even just learning about it?

Records trace the history of soccer back more than 2,000 years ago to ancient China. Greece, Rome, and parts of Central America also claim to have started the sport; but it was England that transitioned soccer, or what the British and many other people around the world call “football,” into the game we know today.

Soccer is the world´s most popular sport: played by about 250 million people. Soccer has become so popular over the years that even our small town has added it to their elective list. Soccer has two seasons,  winter/fall and spring seasons. At AMS students are playing in just the spring seasons. Students don’t have the exact dates they are playing yet, but they are going to find out once the season gets closer.

There are quite a lot of rules in soccer. The number one rule in soccer is no hands, but there are many more.

• A football match is played by two teams, with each allowed no more than 11 players on the field at any one time, one of whom is a goalkeeper.
  • A match is played in two 45 minute halves.
  • The game begins with the toss of a coin, and the winning captain decides which goal to defend or to take the first kick-off.
  • All players must use their feet, head, or chest to play the ball. Only the goalkeeper is allowed to use their hands, and only within their designated goal area.
  • The aim of the game is to score a goal, which is achieved by kicking or heading the ball into the opposing team’s goal.
  • If the ball touches or crosses the sideline, it is thrown back in by the team that was not the last to touch the ball.
  • The game is controlled by a central referee and two linesmen. They award free kicks and penalties when rules are broken. For continual breaking of rules or for a bad foul, the player may be sent off the field.

There are about 40 people on the AMS soccer team right now, yet many people are joining after football and volleyball season. Even though we have 40 people on the team, only 10 players and one goalkeeper (goalie) can play on the field at once. The others will be on the sidelines cheering their teammates on!

Soccer is a pretty cool sport in my opinion, but what about other people’s opinions? Coach Vote said ¨Starting the season with a new team will be an excellent opportunity for us to grow as a program. Not only are we starting this soccer program from the ground up. We are building a team comprised of students of all different skill levels. It is very exciting to see the growth and development of our team in both ability and sense of community¨. Seventh-grader Leah Mancillas shared ¨I feel like this season’s team has some strong players. For example, we have really good kickers as well as some pretty fast people on our team. I think we will have a good season if we all play as a team in my opinion.¨ Coach Vote stated ¨I chose to coach soccer for two reasons. First, to be a part of creating and fostering the growth of a new athletic program at AMS. There are many students who love the sport and did not have the opportunity to play once they were ineligible for soccer through ACYRC. Now that we have it in our school, we have many student-athletes who have the chance to hone their skills prior to joining the high school team. Second, being a coach allows me the ability to mentor athletes that may need guidance during their academic career. Many of the skills learned in a team sport, like soccer, are transferable to everyday situations. I hope to build confidence and character within the athletes in my soccer program by teaching them to be a part of something larger than themselves.¨

Neither the coach nor the student would change a thing about soccer. ¨I wouldn’t change anything about soccer. The sport has been around for a lot longer than I have and I feel that the world loves it as it is.¨-Coach Vote I for one agree with that statement. Do you?