Do You Know the Dress Code?

Do You Know the Dress Code?

Camila Lopez-Munoz

The dress code can change from year to year, so it can be confusing.
The dress code is very important.  It encourages students to concentrate on their studies and not on what is in their closet. If you’re a student from Andrews Middle School (AMS) let me clarify a few dress code rules.

The one dress code infraction perpetrated most by girls involves holes in jeans. Most students understand that if you’re wearing jeans
with holes, the holes have to be no higher than 4 inches above the
knee. Holes more than 4 inches above the knee must have patches. The patches need to be sewn into the jeans. Some students wear tights or just place a piece of fabric behind the hole but that is against the rules.  Shorts and skirts have to be no higher than 4 inches above the knee.

The two dress code infraction perpetrated most by boys are shirts with inappropriate logos, images, or statements and hair length. Hair should not be styled in a way that covers your eyes. Furthermore, boys’ hair should be above the collar of their shirt and girls above their hips.

For the first and second offenses, students receive a warning and are given the opportunity to change or wear a school-issued shirt or sweat pants. One of the punishments that have occurred for repeat offenders is after-school detention.

The dress code can be a little confusing, so ask when you are not sure what the rules state. If you are not sure if something is within the dress code don’t wear it until you get clarification.