AMS Students Making History!!!

Yanixa Meraz

It’s not every day middle school students make history. On Monday November 15th, the AMS soccer team had their first win in ever! The Mustangs defeated Crockett, 7-5.  This is the first year Andrews Middle School has had a soccer team and on their 4th game they take home a win.

They started out with three losses but in a small amount of time they improved greatly. The team has been working hard for this win and will continue to work hard. The improvement these athletes have made is amazing. The first game AMS lost with zero goals; but now the team won their last game with seven goals. The students who made the goals yesterday were: Juan Andrade who made three goals, Reik Coss-Solis who made the other three goals, and Carter Hoversten who made one goal with his head! Everyone on the team played very well but these three students deserve recognition for their outstanding work during that game. The coaches deserve recognition as well for their help in preparing the team.

Furthermore, these athletes and coaches have really shown grit. Starting something brand new and building a program from the ground up is challenging and can be scary. However, these athletes and coaches have continued to work and push themselves even after a rough start to the season. When some might have quit, they rose to the occasion and found success. Watching this team go from no goals to winning with seven illustrates what can happen when you follow your passion and fight for a dream.

If you want to support the AMS Soccer team you will have to travel. The team does not get the privilege of playing in Andrews because Andrews ISD doesn’t have a soccer field. Due to this all their games are played in Odessa. The athletes are always excited to have fans in the stands, so the trip would be worth it. Just remember AMS soccer fans are watching history in the making.